Tuesday, August 23, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 7th post

Two posts in one week?  Amazing!  Credit the new workspace and learning how to use the camera a little bit better.

Images are of the assembled, but not decaled wheels (polished and cleared) and also some of the clear coated wing bits.  The wing bits actually look better in person, with more depth to the gloss and less apparent orange peel.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 5th post

I spent most of the time since the last post rebuilding the rear suspension.  When I fit it to the undertray, I realized that I had badly warped it.  I had to completely disassemble it and start over (including much of the c/f decals).  Lesson learned:  Don't force the contact points on the suspension together.  Lay it out so that it is square and level and then adapt the contact points as needed.

I decided not to detail the wheel hubs.  I found a nice photo of one, but since the car will be displayed with the wheels on I don't want to invest the time in detailing something that will never bee seen.

The rear wing is just about ready for its first coat of paint.  I put Zero gray primer on it yesterday.  The front wing is also about ready.  The many, many winglets will be done separately.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 4th post

Dead camera + little free time = zero posts.  Now I have a new camera and a tiny bit of time so here's the update:

All time has been spent on sanding the body and applying c/f decals to the undertray.  I'm very, very pleased with how well the c/f went on! 

Friday, April 8, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 3rd post

Added first and 2nd coats of primer.  The first coat was a cheap automotive spray can primer.  Went on uniformly but needed heavy sanding to smooth out the rough texture.  Although it didn't produce a paint-ready surface, it did a good job of filling in sanding marks and other marks in the resin that I couldn't see prior to priming.  This was the first time I'd used el cheapo primer and I will probably continue doing so since it filled well and was cheap.  For the hoped-for final layer, I used Gunze Sangyo Mr. Finisher 1000.  Looked brilliant when wet, but after drying I could see sanding marks and gaps in the putty that need further clean up.  A bit disappointing that it needs more work, but I'd rather see the flaws before the Zero paint goes on.

Photos show the results of the GS primer.  Well, they intend to show it but all of our digital cameras are broken except for one - and it sucks.  They ain't much, but you can at least see some of the cleanup that needs to occur.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 2nd post

Some progress in between other activities.  Much sanding and surface prep of the body has occurred as well as some of the suspension parts.  Although the relative lack of parts at first made the project seem easy, the high amount of prep required before priming (let alone painting, decaling, and assembling!) seems rather daunting at this point.  Nevertheless, I have more spare time now and hopefully work will continue at a decent pace.  Please note that the photos mostly suck.  One of these a new camera will make my purchase list.

This first image was intended to share the fairly clean panel lines.  However, you can also see that the fuel filler flap is hand scribed by the designer.  It will hardly show when painted, but is a bit incongruous in the raw given the precision of the rest of the body.

Next we have a view of the famous shark fin.  Thankfully it is pre-attached to the body and did not break in transit (as has happened to other purchasers of this kit).

This is the first actual build work I did.  I attached the lower front suspension and the bottom half of the front fuselage.  I'm sure that more filler will be required (Squadron White) but I will prime it first.
Next we have a view of the nose and lower suspension.  Of note here is another hand scribed access panel.  Again, you won't notice the lack of symmetry once painted but it does show here (although not as well in the photo).
Finally we have a view of the entire Batmobile.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WIP: 2010 World Champion (aka La Vache Rouge 6) - 1st post

 Just starting the unlicensed model kit of the 2010 F1 World Champion.  This is my first WIP and also my first multimedia kit!  First impressions:

  • Resin casting is very crisp with little flash, no defects, and minimal mold lines.  Very easy to clean up.
  • That said, the etched details (i.e. fuel door) are surprisingly wobbly.  You can't tell from a distance but up close they appear to have been hand scribed.  Maybe all MM kits look that way.  It's not a complaint but it did surprise me.
  • PE parts look good.
  • Decals are beautiful!  Hopefully they go on well.  I also hope the CF decals work well as the varying patterns would be expensive to purchase separately.
  • White metal parts look good.  That said, my only comparison point is from 1:43 white metal kits.  Regardless, they look relatively in scale, straight, and crisp.
Photos to follow!